Does everyone here watch Top Chef? I’ve been a little lackadaisical about tuning in this season. Usually I’m completely hooked, start it exactly 15 minutes after it begins, and don’t speak to anyone until the previews for the next week are over, but this time around I’m just kind of catching it when I can. I finally saw the Halloween episode with Lea Michele and I couldn’t help but wonder if this was before or after Cory Montieth’s tragic death. Is that weird? I just kept thinking, that poor girl, she must be so sad!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups hot low-sodium chicken stock
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, plus more for garnish
- ¾ cup bread crumbs, divided
- 5 ounces goat cheese
- ½ cup cream or half & half
- Canola oil for frying
- In a medium sauté pan melt butter over a medium heat, add onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about two minutes. Add rice, stir to combine, cook another two minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add wine, stir until liquid is absorbed. Add ½ cup HOT chicken stock, stir until almost absorbed. Repeat until all stock is gone. Season with a little bit of salt and pepper after every other addition. Risotto is done when the mixture is creamy, and the rice is tender, but still has a bite. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Spread on to a baking sheet to cool.
- Heat about two inches of oil in a large heavy pot to 350 degrees. About a medium heat.
- Once mixture has completely cooled, transfer to a mixing bowl. Add cheese, egg, parsley, pomegranate seeds and ¼ cup breadcrumbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Form into 1 ½ inch balls.
- Add remaining breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Coat arancini in bread crumbs.
- Fry arancini in batches. Drain on paper towel.
- In a small saucepan, heat cream and goat cheese over a medium low heat, stirring occasionally until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve arancini with goat cheese fonduta and pomegranate seeds.