Healthy swiss chard & egg casserole can make your morning bright. So get your ass out of bed and make this thing for your family.
- a bit of olive oil, for the pan, to cook the mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 4-5 large chard leaves, stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup scallions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino cheese
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 5 large eggs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- a few pinches of red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- serve with: crème fraîche, or lemony yogurt: (plain yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, a little minced garlic)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 7?x11? baking dish (or similar size), and set aside.
- In a medium skillet heat the oil. Add the mushrooms and a few pinches of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until they’re golden and soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Stir in the minced garlic and dijon mustard. Then add in the chard leaves (they should be still raw), mushrooms, scallions, 3 tablespoons (half) of the cheese, and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Toss to coat all of the leaves.
- Transfer mixture to the baking dish and bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until the eggs just start to set.
- Mix together the remaining cheese with the panko. Sprinkle it on top of the casserole and bake it for about 10 minutes more, until the cheese starts to brown.
- Sprinkle with a few red pepper flakes and serve with a dollops of crème fraîche or lemony yogurt on the side.