Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are like the unicorn of desserts and will send you gliding high over rainbows and swimming in milk chocolate rivers. Music will play and butterflies will dance around in unison. Why you ask? Because these things are too damn good for the average person. Who wouldn’t love the compilation of a chocolate cupcake and the delicious flavor of hot chocolate. You can top these with whatever you would like including chocolate chips, marshmallows or even crushed candy canes. But what really matters is that you eat one and lock the rest in a safe so you don’t eat the entire batch in one sitter. Moderation people… that is the key. Although, these are one of those desserts that make moderation extremely hard.
These Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are rich, chocolate cake with a hot chocolate buttercream frosting. Everything you want in a fantastic dessert with all the calories to make you feel horrible about eating a dozen of them. So maybe just eat one or two per sitting. It will be hard and will take some will power, but it can be done.
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix (15.5 ounce size) or use your favorite homemade recipe
- Ingredients called for on box to make cupcakes plus 1 extra egg AND substitute the water with an equal amount of milk
Hot Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- 1½ sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup powdered hot chocolate mix
- Prepare cupcakes and bake according to box directions (with the extra egg and milk instead of water). You don’t have to use these changes if you want to be a basic bitch.
- Set aside to cool while you prepare frosting. If you try and frost hot cupcakes, the frosting will melt off and you will look like a fool.
Hot Chocolate Buttercream:
- Using a mixer, cream together butter, cocoa powder and salt. Scrape down sides of bowel with a spatula as needed and to leave nothing behind.
- With the mixer on low speed, mix in powdered sugar and gradually add the milk and vanilla extract.
- As the sugar begins to mix in, raise the speed of the mixer to medium/high speed to beat the frosting until smooth.
- In a small separate bowl, stir together heavy cream and hot chocolate mix.
- With mixer on medium speed, pour heavy cream mixture into frosting in a slow, steady stream, until you’ve reached your desired consistency for the frosting. ** You might not need the full amount of the heavy cream/hot chocolate mixture so add that shit slow.
- Pipe the frosting onto completely cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with your favorite candy… such as marshmallows and candy canes.
Like this Hot Chocolate Cupcakes recipe? Check out some more dessert recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!