Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce is a nice substitute for regular meat sauce recipe but doesn’t let up on the flavor for your next Italian dinner night. You can use this sauce for for pasta, spaghetti, veggie noodles, calzones, etc.. Need a tomato based dipping sauce? This recipe has the magic touch (I will avoid a dirty joke here). Just like any well rounded dinner or lunch, get some bread and make a little salad.
- 10 oz mushrooms (we prefer baby bella)
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 28 oz crushed tomato, 1 can
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz chickpeas, 1 can, drained
- fresh basil, for garnish
- Spaghetti or whatever noodle you are using
- In a food processor, pulse the mushrooms and onions until broken into uniformly fine pieces, about 10 pulses, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Pour the mushrooms and onions into the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the veggies have released moisture and softened, about 8 minutes… give or take.
- Add the garlic and oregano. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste, slowly mixing in the veggies from the side until a uniform paste has formed.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and stir until well combined and thick (like sir mix-a-lot enjoys).
- Add the vegetable stock and stir until the sauce has thickened slightly. Reduce the heat to medium-low if it is bubbling and popping too much.
- While the sauce simmers, place the chickpeas in the food processor and pulse until broken into fine pieces, about 10 pulses.
- Pour the chickpeas into a fine mesh strainer and submerge in a medium bowl filled with water.
- Shake the strainer for 1 minute to remove starches from the chickpeas. You’ll know when to remove the strainer when the water has become very cloudy from the starches.
- Transfer the chickpeas to the sauce and stir for at least 1 minute to give the chickpeas time to cook. Probably leave it cooking for about 20 minutes if you have the time to let the flavors mix and dominate.
- Cook the noodles and maybe toast some bread. A salad wouldn’t hurt the situation.
Like this Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce recipe? Check out some more sauce recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!