Ok inside the box eaters, let’s get a little weird with this one. It is called Roasted Eggplant with Smoked Almonds & Goat Cheese and is basically a warm salad that is healthy and pretty damn good.No meat in this dish so you will feel good about eating it and maybe even get motivated to get outside and do something active.
This is not a cold salad (although you could eat it cold; it’s quite good at room temperature). But it’s best warm and straight out of the oven. The eggplant is tossed with olive oil and a touch of vinegar, smoked paprika and cumin, and roasted until soft and buttery. Then toss it with chopped smoked, salted almonds, goat cheese, parsley, and a touch of lemon. It’s comforting yet fresh, hearty yet light. Smoky, a little tangy, rich.
- 2 large eggplants (about 2 pounds)
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup flat parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup smoked almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled and divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Cut the eggplant into 1-inch cubes and put in a large bowl. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and set aside while making the marinade.
- Whisk together the olive oil, cider vinegar, honey, smoked paprika, and cumin. Dab away any extra water that has beaded up on the eggplant and toss with the marinade. Stir in the garlic. Spread the eggplant on a large baking sheet,
- Roast at 400°F for 40 minutes, or until very tender and slightly browned. (Stir every 15 minutes and check after 30 minutes to make sure it isn’t burning.) Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and soy sauce. Return the eggplant to the bowl and toss with the lemon juice mixture. Stir in the parsley leaves, smoked almonds, and most of the goat cheese, reserving a little.
- Spread the finished salad in a serving bowl and sprinkle the reserved goat cheese crumbles and scallions on top.
Like this Roasted Eggplant with Smoked Almonds & Goat Cheese recipe? Check out some more vegetarian recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!