Veggie Ramen is a nice little dish that actually doesn’t take too long to prepare and can be tailored to your tastes. Don’t like corn? Leave that crap out. Really like mushrooms? Add as many as you want. Do you want to add steak or chicken and make it a heartier meal, that is no problem as well. We suggest cooking the broth separately and then doing all of your toppings in different pans. That way you can add what you want and not mix flavors. Will you be able to recreate your favorite ramen dish from the local restaurant? Probably not at first because they have been working on their broth recipe for years. But you can get a pretty tasty broth and keep improving on it each time. Enjoy this bastard!
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 3-inch piece ginger (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce (plus more to taste)
- 6 oz mushrooms (we like baby bella)
- 8 ounces ramen noodles
- 1 TBSP miso paste
TOPPINGS (All optional and to your liking)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- Sliced carrots
- Bok Choy
- Extra-firm tofu
- Sweet potatoes
- Egg (Soft Boiled)
- Chili garlic sauce (if you like your farts to hurt)
- Steak (obviously not vegetarian anymore)
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add oil, garlic, ginger, and onion. Sauté, stirring occasionally for 5-8 minutes or until the onion has developed a slight sear (browned edges).
- Add 1 cup of the vegetable broth to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Use a whisk (or wooden spoon) to scrape up any bits that may have stuck to the bottom to enhance the flavor of the broth.
- Add remaining 5 cups vegetable broth, tamari or soy sauce.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer on low for at least 1 hour, up to 2-3, stirring occasionally. The longer it cooks, the more the flavor will deepen and develop.
- Taste broth and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more soy sauce or sesame oil if desired. Add the miso paste at this time.
- When you’re 30 minutes from serving, prepare any desired toppings… Cook mushrooms in a pan, put bok choy in the broth and same with carrots.
- For the noodles, fill a large saucepan or pot with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add ramen noodles and cook according to package instructions – about 4-5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- To serve, divide ramen noodles between four serving bowls. Top with strained broth and desired toppings, such as carrots, bok choy, green onion, or seared tofu. Serve with chili garlic sauce for added heat.
Like this simple Veggie Ramen Recipe? Check out some more vegetarian HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW MOOSE!
Want Some Awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW MOOSE!