Here is a simple little beef dish that sounds a bit weird but is definitely tasty.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted olives (such as green, ripe, Kalamata, and/or Nicoise), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 8 1/2ounce package corn muffin mix
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Pitted olives, coarsely chopped tomatoes, and cilantro leaves (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a 12-inch skillet cook beef until browned. Drain off fat. Add chopped tomatoes, the 1/2 cup olives, the water, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
2. Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Divide hot ground beef among four (12- to 16-ounce) casserole dishes . Top with muffin mix; sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
3. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until topping is light golden and cooked through. If desired, top with olives, chopped tomatoes, and cilantro.