If you’re looking to change-up a tired breakfast routine, try these new-fashioned grilled cheese sandwiches. They are equally good for breakfast or dinner. Mixing honey with the goat cheese makes it easier to spread over the cinnamon-raisin bread.
Karen couldn’t have said it better: “I was looking for something different for breakfast and I stumbled upon this recipe…I have fallen in love and I drool on the mornings that I know I will be making this. The combination of the goat cheese and fig preserves is divine, and the lemon zest gives the combo just a touch of freshness. I don’t always have basil on hand, but it is still dynamite without it.”
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese
- 8 (1-ounce) slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 2 tablespoons fig preserves
- 2 teaspoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Combine first 3 ingredients, stirring until well blended. Spread 1 tablespoon goat cheese mixture on each of 4 bread slices; top each slice with 1 1/2 teaspoons preserves and 1/2 teaspoon basil. Top with remaining bread slices. Lightly coat outside of bread with cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches to pan. Place a cast-iron or heavy skillet on top of sandwiches; press gently to flatten. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly toasted (leave cast-iron skillet on sandwiches while they cook). Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Sprinkle with sugar.