When on a food budget, there are many things you should consider keeping around your house for a quick budget friendly meal. One of those things that can be very useful is rice. What is great about rice is you can add many things to it to make a delicious meal for your family. Preparing rice is very easy and quick – you can use either a sauce pan or a rice cooker, whatever is available. Cooking a big pot of it early in the week can lead to some great leftovers for lunches and maybe another dinner. Rice is inexpensive (especially when bought in larger quantities) and can be pretty good for you as well, if you choose the brown variety. Yes, you can eat it plain and it is tasty but everyone likes a little variety. Here are a few ideas that you can add to white rice for some interesting dishes.
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Fresh mozzarella, chopped tomatoes and fresh chopped basil then drizzle with balsamic vinegar
- Velveeta cheese, broccoli, celery, onion
- Raisins, sugar, and milk (for breakfast)
- Vanilla ice cream, fresh chopped peaches and a dash of cinnamon
- Stuff red peppers with rice and vegetables
- Cooked black beans, diced fresh tomatoes, sliced green onions, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, chopped fresh cilantro. Top with sour cream.
- Mix into cold salads
- Raisins, chopped cashews, sliced green onion, ground cinnamon, and butter. Serve with a side of creamy plain yogurt mixed with some chopped cucumber and fresh mint.
- Cream of mushroom soup and frozen mixed vegetables
- Fish, sweet corn, and peas
- Put the rice in a skillet and add eggs and mushrooms
- Cinnamon, brown sugar and warm milk
Overall, rice can basically be mixed with almost anything for a new dish. Get creative, open your cupboard and if there is a can of soup, add some rice and vegetables to it for an even heartier dinner. Good luck and remember that rice is twice as nice when on a budget.