Here is a simple Margherita Pizza recipe that has no sauce. That is right pizza people, it has no sauce and we are not apologizing. If sauce is for some odd damn reason a requirement for you and your antiquated pizza rules, you can move to the next recipe. If you are open to change, read on and experience a healthy pizza that tastes fresh and doesn’t take a long time. Speaking of fresh, if you any outdoor space at all, and some sort of descent weather in periods of the year, grow some fresh herbs in pots. Won’t take up a lot or room and you will have them on hand and can even freeze them in the winter. We recommend basil, chives, cilantro and maybe parsley. Food just seems to taste a little better with fresh and this dish is no different. Also side note, we cheat on this in a few places. We do not make our own dough and are not using “real” mozzarella. Sue us.
- 1 refrigerated pizza crust (we like thin for this)
- 1 T. oil
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 TBSP butter
- 6-8 large fresh basil leaves, cut into strips
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese (we like cubes over shredded)
- 2 T. Parmesan cheese (we like shredded over grated)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional if you like your farts to hurt)
- Preheat the oven to package directions.
- Roll out and press the pizza dough onto a greased sheet pan
- Cook crust halfway
- Drizzle, fo rizzle, the oil, spread the butter and minced garlic over the crust and use a brush to spread out
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese
- Spread the mozzarella cheese, basil and tomatoes. Again, if you are growing a basil plant, your shit is probably super tight. Home grown tomatoes are also the bomb shit.
- Make sure to lightly salt and pepper the tomatoes (crucial).
- Cook the pizza for the rest of the time, or until the crust is sufficiently crisp and the cheese melted. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.
Like this Margarita Pizza recipe? Check out some more main dish recipes HERE.
You Made it to the end! Your reward is a link to awesome T-Shirts. HERE!