Looking for a simple appetizer recipe and don’t feel like messing with meat? Have an excess of tomatoes from your summer garden and don’t know what to make? Well how about Bruschetta. Fresh and tasty, this dish will get the meal started right. Make sure your tomatoes are not mushy because tomatoes suck when they are mushy.
- 6 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 French baguette
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven on broiler setting.
- Do 25 push ups to get your energy going (this will show in the finished product)
- In a large bowl, combine the roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
- Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
- Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Top the slices with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. (You can always melt cheese first and then have the guests put on however much of the Bruschetta mixture they want).