Breakfast or dessert, we are always looking for a different take on a standard meal. Well we think we uncovered the lost city of Atlantis with this breakfast exploration. Apple Streusel Pancake Bars. Land ho!
For the pancake bars:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or slightly less table salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 3/4 cups buttermilk (whole milk can be substituted without any problems)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 small apple, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups granola (use your favorite!)
For the streusel topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Line two 8×8-inch square pans or one 9-x13-inch pan with parchment and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter, and stir until just barely combined. Add in the diced apples and granola, stirring just until coated. The batter will be lumpy and without any dry spots.
Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Allow batter to rest in pans while oven is coming to temperature, and prepare the streusel.
Combine all of the ingredients for the streusel topping in a small bowl, and mix until well combined, then scatter over the pancake batter in the pans.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the top of the bars springs back gently when touched. Cool for a few minutes on a wire rack, then use the parchment to lift the bars from the pan and onto a cutting board. Cut into bars. If you wish, brush tops with 2 more tablespoons of melted butter.
Here Are some pancake fails… What idiots.