This Slow Cooker Apple Crisp is cooked entirely in the crock pot! This easy dessert is bursting with juicy apples, brown sugar, and a buttery oat crumble topping. Do discriminate weather wise when you can enjoy this dessert. Fall and winter and great but spring and summer just as good. Keep this in mind though… the vanilla ice cream is NOT MANDATORY. You need it. For example you might try this recipe, not add the ice cream and think “this is not bad, maybe a 2 or 3. You would move on and not think twice. However the second option is to rock this recipe amd actually add the vanilla ice cream. Now your taste buds are screaming 5 stars! You make it for your friends and family, you give out this recipe, people think you are awesome. That is the difference adding ice cream to this recipe makes. And don’t even think about using any other flavor besides vanilla. No chocolate won’t work, neither will rocky rode, mint, strawberry or any other crap you have lying around, VANILLA!!!
**Also make sure the damn apples are peeled. I made that mistake and though editable, it is not as pleasant. You can see from the below pics.**
For the apple mixture:
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the crisp topping:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
Vanilla Ice cream (not mandatory)
Make the apple mixture:
- Place sliced apples in the slow cooker.
- Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir. (Be sure to use a non-metal spoon so as not to scratch your slow cooker insert.)
- Let sit while you prepare the crisp topping.
Make the crisp topping:
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Using your fingertips, work the butter into the oat mixture until the mixture starts to clump together.
- Stir the apple mixture one more time and then spread apples out into an even layer. Sprinkle on the crisp topping.
Cook the apple crisp:
- Cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 3-3½ hours, until apples are soft.
- Turn off heat and let stand for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving (keeping the lid on).
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Like this slow cooker apple crisp recipe? Check out some more dessert recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!