Hungarian Mushroom Soup is warming and doesn’t take 200 ingredients to get going. This recipe requires a handful of ingredients, most of which are pretty straight-forward and easy to find. If you like mushrooms, you will like this soup.
4 tablespoons of salted butter
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced (baby bella are great)
½ cups white onions, chopped
1 teaspoon EACH: dried thyme AND dried mushroom powder (optional)
2 cloves garlic, grated
2 ½ cups low sodium chicken stock (or vegetable)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons EACH: all-purpose flour AND chopped parsley
1 tablespoon EACH: sweet paprika AND lemon juice
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup sour cream
- In a soup pot, saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Then, season with dill, thyme, and paprika and allow the mushrooms and onions to continue cooking for an additional 7-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle the grated garlic and mushroom powder 30 seconds before the mushrooms are done.
- Pour in the chicken stock, soy sauce, and lemon juice and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen anything that might be stuck on. Allow the soup to gain a simmer and then let cook and reduce for 5 minutes.
- While the soup is reducing, whisk together the milk and flour in a small bowl until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the soup and continue to cook the soup for 8-10 minutes, or until the soup thickens, stirring as required.
- Remove the soup from heat. Stir the soup while you add in the sour cream slowly and allow for it to mix.
- Sprinkle with parsley to finish and serve warm with grilled bread rubbed with olive oil and a clove of cut garlic.
Like this Hungarian Mushroom Soup Recipe? Check out some more soup recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!