Chicken Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms is a pretty simple recipe that makes healthy lunch or dinner. They reheat really well and the chicken, breadcrumb, cheese and vegetable stuffing is simple. You can even cheat and use rotisserie chicken to cut down on prep time. Enjoy.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 medium-sized portobello mushrooms
- 2 chicken breasts (or 2 cups leftover cooked chicken)
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil to chicken and season with salt & pepper. Bake for 15 minutes until chicken is just barely cooked through. Let cool then shred or chop into small pieces. You can also prep this the day or week before. Just cooked shredded chicken. You can buy a rotisserie at the grocery store too.
- De-stem and scrape out the portobellos, reserving inside mushroom gills and disposing of stems. Up to you how much of this you want to do.
- Add mushroom gills to a large bowl and toss with cooked chicken, red pepper, red onion, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, salt & pepper, parsley and half the cheese.You can also add whatever else you have on hand like other veggies.
- Add filling to mushroom caps then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes until mushroom caps are cooked through and cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!
Like this Chicken Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Recipe? Check out some more vegetarian recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!