No, we are not trying to sell you on the fact these Heart of Palm and Artichoke Cakes are better than your normal crab cake. We are just saying maybe try something a little different every now and then. By all means, stuff your face with delicious crab and beer, we will definitely join you most of the time to eat until our stomach hurts and drink until that waitress looks good. But if you want a slight change and one that is considered healthy, try these cakes.
Overall, these tasty bastard cakes are crisp on the outside and moist and flaky on the inside with a flavor that is remarkably similar to traditional crab cakes thanks to Old Bay seasoning. And oddly enough, hearts of palm are damn good and when mixed with artichokes have a similar feel to crab (not as good, but still enjoyable). Relax readers, we agree crab is better.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil , plus more for frying
- ½ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup minced celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (14 oz) jar of hearts of palm, well drained, patted dry, and roughly chopped
- 1 (6oz) jar of marinated artichoke hearts, well drained, patted dry, and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- Lemon wedges , for serving
A Simple Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 TBSP white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 dash saracha (to give it a kick in the under carriage)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, Old Bay seasoning, cornstarch and sour cream. Add the cooled onion mixture and 1/4 cup of the panko, and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 to 8 portions and shape into small patties.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup panko in a shallow bowl. Coat the patties with the bread crumbs and refrigerate or freeze for 20 minutes or longer.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering.
- Carefully place the patties in the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve hot with lemon wedges to fancy this bastard up.
Like this Heart of Palm and Artichoke Cakes recipe? Check out some more vegetarian recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!