During the week, I am always looking for quick and healthy lunches to prepare. Fortunately, I work from home so I have my whole kitchen available to me. I have discovered that salads are one great way to have a healthy lunch. Even better, you can actually prep almost any item for a salad on the weekend when you have some time. Then, all you have to do is throw everything together at lunch. Can’t get any easier than that!
The Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken is a great recipe to prep over the weekend and then enjoy later on in the week. Plus, fixing homemade hummus and baked pita chips makes for a great side dish! Keep in mind, this recipe makes 4 servings so you may want to modify the ingredient amounts if you are only making this salad for you.
¼ c. fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth (use generic version to save money)
2 T. red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp minced garlic
4 (3-4 oz) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
8 c. torn romaine lettuce (or any lettuce of choice)
1 cup diced cucumber, peeled (about 1 small)
1 pitted kalamata olives, halved
4 plum tomatoes, diced
2 slices red onion (1/4” thick), diced
¼ c. crumbled feta cheese (use generic version to save money)
Prep Work (for over the weekend or the evening before)….
- Prepare grill or broiler. Place defrosted chicken on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Cook for 5 minutes on each side or until chicken is done and juices run clear. Cut into 1/4” thick slices. Cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix chicken broth, red wine vinegar, sugar, oregano, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic together in a small plastic container. Place lid on the container and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Dice cucumber, tomatoes, and red onion. Place into their own small plastic containers and cover with lid. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Pit kalamata olives and cut in half. Place in small plastic container and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
When ready to eat….
- Tear romaine lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place into salad bowl.
- Top with cucumber, olives, tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese, and sliced chicken.
- When ready to serve, shake up salad dressing to mix and pour over salad