This is a Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pasta Bake that is very rich and very delectable. It takes a little time to caramelize the onions but everything else comes together very quickly. The balsamic-scented caramelized onions and goat cheese really take this dish over the top for your next dinner.
For the balsamic onions:
- 1 1/2 TBSP butter
- 1 large onion (peeled, halved and very thinly sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
For the pasta:
- 1 1/2 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP flour
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 12 oz pasta
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 3 oz fresh goat’s cheese
- 3 oz grated pecorino cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Make the caramelized onions:
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook.
- Add salt and cook more until brown and caramelized.
- Stir the balsamic vinegar into the onions and cook for one more minute. Check for seasoning and add more salt if needed, then remove onions to a small bowl.
Make the pasta:
- In the same pan, melt more butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Next, stir in the white wine, scratching any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Let the wine simmer until it has almost all cooked away.
- Whisk in the stock and milk until smooth and no more floury lumps remain.
- Stir the dry pasta and thyme leaves into the milk mixture, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until pasta is done. There should be plenty of sauce at this point. If the pasta seems too dry/the sauce too thick… add more milk or stock as needed.
Assemble the bake:
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oven to 350°F.
- Once the pasta is finished, stir in the goat’s cheese, grated pecorino and mustard. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Transfer it to a baking dish. Dot with the caramelized onion, then sprinkle generously with extra grated cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly. Serve right away with a bright side salad and some fruit.
Like this Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pasta Bake recipe? Check out some more vegetarian recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!