Red Beans and Rice is one of those staple southern dishes with simple ingredients and tons of flavor. Before you know it, people will claim you are a really gook cook. Traditional Louisiana red beans and rice uses Andouille sausage but you can use whatever sausage you would like. If you like your farts to hurt, you can choose a spicy one. If not, a simple beef sausage will work. But overall, this dish is cooked low and slow with flavorful cajun spices, then served with fresh cooked rice to create a homestyle dinner recipe you’ll sit out for your friends, and they will like you even more than they did before. Also, you must serve this with some sort of cornbread. Mandatory.
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 2 cans of red beans, drained (15 oz cans)
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 12 oz beef kielbasa (sliced into 1/4″ rounds, then cut each slice in half)
- 1 T. Cajun seasoning (or, to taste)
- Instant white rice, follow cooking directions on box
- Heat vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- Once heated, add diced green pepper and onion. Saute until soft.
- Add beef kielbasa into the green pepper and onion mixture. Saute for three minutes.
- Add red beans, cajun seasoning, and vegetable broth to the mixture. Can add more vegetable broth if you want the red bean mixture to not be as thick). Simmer the mixture on low for five minutes to heat the beans and allow flavors to mix.
- While preparing the beans, follow the directions on the instant rice box to prepare the rice.
- Serve red bean mixture over the white rice. Also good served with cornbread on the side.
Like this easy Red Beans and Rice recipe? Check out some more beef recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!