Slow Cooker Jack Fruit Tacos are a great vegetarian dinner that comes with easy prep and makes you feel all sorts of healthy. Besides that jack fruit, you top it with a crunchy flavorful slaw and sour cream if you want. Are you a little scared because you have never heard of jack fruit? Welcome to the club, this is new for us as well. But we definitely like it. Where jack fruit really shines is when you get it young and green. At this stage, it’s starchy, savory and is so amazing in that it replicates pulled or shredded meat. So cleanse that body and open your kitchen up.
For The Jack Fruit
- 2 20 Ounce Cans Jackfruit
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 orange (juiced)
- 1/2 lime
- Small taco tortillas
- Sour Cream
Honey Lime Cilantro Slaw
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime (1–2 Tbsp)
- 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cup up jack fruit and add to slow cooker
- Add in sliced onions, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, chili powder, cumin and bay leaves. Stir around.
- Pour in vegetable broth and juice in orange and lime. Stir again.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 when almost finished.
- Take out bay leaves and shred jack fruit with a fork.
- Add jack fruit on pan and bake in oven at 400 for 15 minutes (this finishes the “meat” and gives a nice carmelization and crunch)
- Make the slaw. In a bowl, combine green and purple cabbage, cilantro, lime juice (start with 1 Tbsp), honey, salt and pepper. Taste and add additional lime juice or honey as desired. Stir to combine well and set aside until ready to serve on the jack fruit tacos. The salt and lime juice will help soften and break down the cabbage.
Like this Slow Cooker Jack Fruit Tacos recipe? Check out some more vegetarian recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!