Fried pickles are super awesome and this recipe makes them turn out crisp and delicious. The cajun seasoning really give this appetizer some great southern flavor and will make sure you get compliments on your cooking abilities. Make sure you have buttermilk ranch on hand for dipping because that makes the dish. If you like spice, you can add some cayenne pepper to the flour mixture or even some hot sauce to the ranch dressing. Basically, once you have these as an appetizer, you will want them at every place that serves them from here on out.
- 1 (16 ounce) jar dill pickle slices (hamburger slices are great and make sure they are thick)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay™
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 quart oil for frying
- Buttermilk ranch dressing for dipping
- Heat oil up to roughly 350 degrees. Turkey fryers work great if you happen to have one or you can use a heavy pan or deep fryer.
- Remove pickles from jar and pat dry with paper towels.
- In one bowl mix 1 egg with buttermilk.
- In another bowl (or actually a large zip lock bag works even better), add flour with old bay, salt, pepper, paprika, cajun seasoning and garlic powder.
- Dip pickle slices in the buttermilk mixture then add to flour mixture. Make sure each slice is fully covered by flour and they are not sticking together.
- Fry pickles in several batches until golden brown and slightly crisp on the outside with a moist interior, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with a buttermilk ranch dipping sauce. make sure you serve them as soon as they come out. Cold fried pickles are not spectacular.
Like this Fried Pickles recipe? Check out some more appetizer recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!