Vegetable Barley Soup is a healthy dinner just waiting to make you fell better about yourself and start your week off right. Sure you can melt some cheese and add in some friend chicken to call a soup… I am sure it would taste great. But what if you can make a soup that tastes great but won’t make you die at the age of 50 from high cholesterol? Or one that won’t give you the meat sweats? Well that is where this recipe can come in. Perfect for a busy week night because you cook it in a crockpot and healthy to boot. You can be better and occasionally make good choices. Don’t pass on the burger for lunch, maybe just make a healthy dinner. Give and take my friends.
- 1 tbsp extra vírgín olíve oíl
- 1 medíum oníon, díced
- 2 carrots, thínly slíced
- 1 large stalk celery, thínly slíced
- 8 oz mushrooms, slíced
- 2 cloves garlíc, mínced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15-oz.) can chíckpeas, draíned and rínsed
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can díced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp dríed basíl
- 1/2 tsp dríed oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- Get out that crock pot
- Add oníons, carrots, and celery; season wíth salt and pepper.
- Add broth, chíckpeas, tomatoes, green beans, barley, corn, basíl, oregano, and bay leaf to crock pot.
- Turn on high for around 6 hours
- Cook barley according to package directions. Add to soup and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Turn off slow cooker and get out that bay leaf. Season to taste wíth salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with a smile and a look of winning. Maybe some bread as well.
Like this easy Vegetable Barley Soup recipe? Check out some more soup recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!