This French Onion Meatball Sub Sandwich is a simple way to use leftover or frozen meatballs. You take those bastards and toss them in some French onion soup. You can make your own or you can used the pre-made variety. Finally add them to a crusty baguette, top with Provolone cheese and caramelized onions, and bake them to a delicious perfection. Serve with fries or fruit or whatever you feel is a good side dish.
- 1 bag of frozen meatballs, thawed
- 1-2 cans condensed French onion soup
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- thinly sliced Provolone cheese
- (6) 6″ crusty baguettes
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spread the meatballs out in a 9×13″ baking dish. Pour the soup out over the meatballs. Stir a bit to evenly coat the meatballs.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- In a medium sized skillet, over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in the onions, and then cook, stirring often to prevent burning, until the onions are caramelized- about 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Slice the baguettes in half, if they aren’t already, and spread the rest of the butter evenly out over the insides. Transfer them to a baking sheet, butter sides up.
- When the meatballs are done, turn the oven to broil. Place the bread in the oven, watching closely, and cook just until the butters melted and they’ve begun turning golden brown.
- Add meatballs to the bottom of each baguette. Top each generously with the caramelized onions and cheese. Place them back under the broiler, just until the cheese is melted & bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy
Like this French Onion Meatball Sub Sandwich recipe? Check out some more beef recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!