Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes are packed with great flavors reminiscent of a real Philadelphia cheesesteak sandwich (Pat’s or Geno’s are the staple there). Made with ground beef, these quick and easy sloppy joes sandwiches are filled with bell pepper and onion, then topped with melty cheese. Best of all, they’re made in a around twenty minutes or less. You can make them to suit your taste buds like adding mushrooms or different types of cheeses. Authentic sandwiches call for cheeze-wiz so feel free to use that delicious nectar of the gods.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 8 oz mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 slices white american or provolone cheese (could even be cheeze-wiz)
- 4 rolls
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Crumble ground beef and season with salt and pepper, then cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add butter to pan. Once melted, add onion and bell pepper and saute until vegetables brown and onions begin to turn translucent, about 4-5 minutes. If using mushrooms, put them in as well.
- Reduce heat to low, then return ground beef to pan. Add garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, and beef broth.
- Add cornstarch and stir until dissolved. This will thicken the beef broth and create a sauce. If beef looks dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of water. You can also add the cornstarch to the beef broth and incorporate that way.
- Remove from heat.
- Toast those buns, add meat mixture, top with cheese and let it melt. You are ready to serve.
Like this Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes recipe? Check out some more beef recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!