This easy Potato Soup recipe is quick and easy to make on the stovetop, it’s nice and creamy (without using heavy cream), and it’s always so cozy and comforting and delicious. The good thing about this recipe is that you can make it vegetarian if you so desire. Forget the bacon… never thought I would utter those words, and in its place, add in 2-3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning for a bit of extra flavor. Also use butter or olive oil in place of the bacon grease.So there you have it. A delicious soup that can be put together pretty quickly and the entire family will love, obviously depending on the amount of bacon you serve with it.
- 5 slices bacon (you can add a lot more if you wants because bacon is awesome)
- 3 tablespoons (reserved) bacon grease or butter
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1.5 (maybe 4 cups) pounds Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- Optional toppings: thinly-sliced green onions or chives, extra shredded cheese, extra bacon, sour cream
- Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add diced bacon and cook until crispy, stirring occasionally. (You can also cook it separately in the microwave and then add the grease to the pot).
- Transfer the bacon to a separate plate, reserving about 3 tablespoons of bacon grease in the stockpot.
- Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Stir in the garlic and sauté for an extra 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Stir the flour into the mixture and sauté for an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the stock until combined, followed by the milk and potatoes.
- Continue cooking until the mixture just reaches a simmer, before it begins to boil. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft, being sure to stir the soup every few minutes so that the bottom does not burn. (The smaller you dice your potatoes, the faster your soup will cook.)
- Once the potatoes are nice and soft, stir in the cheddar cheese and Greek yogurt (or sour cream), salt, pepper and cooked bacon bits.
- Taste and season with extra salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve with other toppings like green onions, sour cream, cheddar cheese and definitely more bacon.
- **Obviously if you want things to be vegetarian, forget the bacon and use regular olive oil instead.
Like this Potato Soup recipe? Check out some more soup recipes HERE.
Want some awesome T-shirts? Check Out NEW Moose!